Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ban ALL Community Organizers!

On Wednesday night at the Republican Convention, Gov. Mitt Romney, Mayor Rudy Guilliani and Gov. Sarah Palin all disparaged community organizations. After listening to them I'm convinced community organizers are bad and should be banned.

When a local church group knocks on my door and asks for donations - I will slam it in their face. When the Salvation Army rings their bell at the corner, I'll kick over their kettle. If the Elks, the Moose, the Rotary Club asks for help with a community project, I will spit in their faces.

If there are donation cans at the cashier counter in my local store which ask for help for someone in need of an operation, I'll pass it by. If my neighbor has a house fire, I'll tell them tough luck - you are on your own. When a hurricane hits, I won't send money. If there's another 9-11 - too bad, you are on your own. When the Red Cross has a blood drive - Sorry - the Red Cross is a COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION!!!

When the local Veterans Organization asks for items to be sent to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan - they will get nothing from me. Schools - don't call on me to help with a bake sale or a car wash. Hey Girl Scouts - don't bother trying to sell me cookies. Boy Scouts - forget the aluminum can drives. Those cans are mine and you can't have them.

By disparaging Barak Obama's years as a community organizer, the republicans have disparaged all community organizers, all community organizations and all those who volunteer their time and abilities to that community.

"I have spoken of a thousand points of light, of all the community organizations that are spread like stars throughout the Nation, doing good. We will work hand in hand, encouraging, sometimes leading, sometimes being led, rewarding. We will work on this in the White House, in the Cabinet agencies. I will go to the people and the programs that are the brighter points of light, and I will ask every member of my government to become involved. The old ideas are new again because they are not old, they are timeless: duty, sacrifice, commitment, and a patriotism that finds its expression in taking part and pitching in. " ---President George HW Bush - January 20, 1989

Last night, the republicans spat on thousands of points of light.

No comments: